I’ve gotten my hands on the features list for MLB 2K9. This represents the first real info for the game which is set to be in stores on March 3rd.
As expected it appears that they’ve attempted to simplify several aspects of the game. The trading card system looks to have been improved and more has been done to add to the authenticity of the experience. Providing the basics such as a smooth framerate and solid online performance are a necessity for this year, but other than those things is there enough here to deliver the game consumers have been hoping for?
Continue on to check out what is in store for this year and leave your thoughts in the comments!
Homerun Derby presented by State Farm
- New best of the best mode. Test your skills against the top 20 HR hitters.
- Classic mode streamlined for faster gameplay
New Playoffs Mode
- Jump right into a playoff scenario without having to play through a whole season.
- Get all of the rewards of the World Series celebrations if you win.
Topps Trading Cards
- Greatly simplify the user experience to unlock trading cards. Better players are harder to unlock.
- Unlock them both by playing with and against the player
- Build trading card teams with no budget restrictions and take them online.
- Review the trading cards in books anywhere in the game.
- Add SFX and graphic overlays to in-game replays to create your own highlight reel.
- You can have the game digitize the reel and upload it to 2KSports.com to share with the world.
- Rate reels and directors through our simple 2Krating system
- View all of your user stats in one place.
- Your abilities are graphed out, displayed in chart form, and comparable against league averages.
- Implement the new Sony PS3 trophy system
- On 360 each time you unlock an achievement you get a new trophy added to your display case.
- Pitching – Unique pitching controls with increased accessibility for pick-up-and-play users.
- Improved pitching controls – Simplified controls to 2-step pitching – hold and gesture
- Catcher’s will call for pitches according to the hitter’s weaknesses
- Influence hit – The users will be able to influence a fly ball or groundball with new controls.
- New bunting controls – Improved bunting will make it easier to lay down a bunt.
- Zone hitting – Users will be able to put the bat on the ball with our new zone hitting feature.
- Hit distribution – Improved hit distribution for a wide variety of hits.
- Fielding – Upgraded fielding system with new ability to quick throw when in a rush.
- Fielding AI – Improved fielding AI will highlight the player’s true ability.
- Quick Throws – Quick throws will allow the user to throw on the run or start a double play quicker.
- Hold the ball – Users will be able to cancel a throw and throw to a different direction on the fly.
- Simplified controls for the user for stealing and baserunning.
- More than 300 new signature animations, making MLB2K9 the most realistic baseball sim to date.
Real-time Living World
- Anything that happens in a baseball stadium happens in 2K9 in Real Time.
- Players will move from the dugout to the batter’s box and from the bullpen to the mound.
- Players warm up by throwing around the horn, bat swinging practice, etc.
- Umpire, ball boys, coaches – All onfield personnel will be moving naturally to and from their positions.
- Celebrations – Players will react properly to a regular end-game to walkoff home run, to no-hitter and World Series celebration.
- Vendors move in the crowd
- Fans react to home runs and foul balls